New job Administrative Assistant in California
Company : US Department of Agriculture
Salary : $35,265 a year
Location : California
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Current students who are scheduled to graduate within nine months may also apply to these positions. However, these students cannot be appointed until after graduation and the official degree has been awarded and conferred.
- Supports and assists with a full range of administrative tasks resolving recurring problems. Receives and distributes supplies, mail, etc., in a timely manner.
- Maintains files in accordance with Federal regulations and agency directives and ensures appropriate documentation is attached.
- May use database or spreadsheet software to enter, revise, sort, calculate, and retrieve data for reports.
- Receives visitors and handles calls of a routine nature applicable to the unit.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age and meet education requirements.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National or be lawfully permitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident or otherwise authorized to be employed.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- The incumbents of Recent Graduate positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee's services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- This is a bargaining unit position represented by the National Federation of Federal Employees, IAMAW.
- A mobility agreement may be required. You may be reassigned or relocated to any geographical location where your services are needed as determined by management.
QualificationsYou are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program, as described below in order to be considered for this position. You must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for this position, go to: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0300/miscellaneous-clerk-and-assistant-series-0303/. The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, you must meet one of the following requirements:
Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two years; OR
If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree, academic documentation must accompany your application package to validate your upcoming graduation date (you must complete all degree requirements within nine months of the application closing date to be considered a Recent Graduate); OR
Due to military service obligation, you were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during any portion of the two-year eligibility period described above. This eligibility period cannot extend more than six years from the date on which the requirement for the academic degree or certificate was received.
You must possess the qualifications requirements identified below to be considered qualified for this position. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Provide course descriptions as necessary.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-4 grade level; OR a bachelor's degree or 4 years of successfully completed education above high school; OR combinations of successfully completed post-high school education (in excess of the first 60 semester hours) and specialized experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university.
Examples of specialized experience are: receiving visitors; processing incoming and outgoing correspondence; and maintaining files and records.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited or evaluated by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note regarding certificate programs: A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying education institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. While recently graduating from a certificate program may afford you Recent Graduate Program eligibility, it may not be sufficient in terms of qualification standards for the series and/or the grade level.
These positions are located in the following locations: BU=Eligible; NON-BU= Non Bargaining Unit:
The position in the Albuquerque, NM location is Non-BU eligible. For additional information, please contact Andrew Sandoval at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions in the following locations are represented by the National Federation of Federal Employees, IAMAW: Davis, CA, Milwaukee, WI, Tiller, OR, Roseburg, OR, and Monte Vista, CO.
For additional information, please contact the following:
Christine Aldrete at email@example.com for the Davis, CA location.
Robin Brandt at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Milwaukee, WI location.
Gabriel Wishart at email@example.com for the Tiller, OR location.
Katherine Steele at katherine.d.steele for the Roseburg, OR location.
Christina Ghormley at Christina.Ghormley@usda.gov for the Monte Vista, CO location.
This position is being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion procedures as announcement number 21-NCH-MRS-303-5-FS-CJ. Current federal employees may apply to both announcements. This position may be filled at the GS-05 grade level with promotion potential up to the GS-07.
Salary wage as shown is for Rest of the U.S. For more information, refer to the Office of Personnel Management, Salary and Wages web page.
Bargaining Unit Status: Eligible - Coverage is dependent upon unit location.
Telework: This position may be eligible for telework and other flexible work arrangements.
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed. Recent Graduates are on a trial period for the duration of the program.
TRAINING/IDP: This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training per year. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment. A mentor must be assigned within 90 days of appointment.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Recent Graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent position in the competitive service after the successful completion of one year of continuous service. To be eligible for conversion, the Recent Graduate must meet the following:
- Complete all requirements of the Recent Graduates program.
- Receive a favorable recommendation by supervisor.
- Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of the agency.
- Meet any agency specific requirements as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Perform the job successfully.
- Receive favorable recommendation by the supervisor
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please note, this position is targeted toward graduates who have been awarded their bachelor's degrees or who have completed one full year of graduate level education.
This position has a targeted effective date of Summer 2021/Fall 2021.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, you should completely review the announcement and the requirements. You should only apply for position if you meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions.
Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
If you meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program and the basic minimum requirements established for the position, you may be referred to the selecting official for consideration. Qualified individuals with veteran's preference are listed ahead of individuals who do not have veteran's preference.
To view the application form, visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11075708
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents must be submitted for your application package to be considered complete. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents are received within the required timeframes. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, system failure or downtime, etc. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
1. Resume that includes the following information: 1) job information for which you are applying; 2) contact information; 3) education with graduation/degree awarded date (actual or anticipated); 4) work experience including the work schedule and hours worked per week as well as dates of employment; and title, series and grade, if applicable; 5) supervisors phone number and e-mail address for each work period listed and whether or not we may contact them for reference checks; 6) References (minimum of two), and 7) other qualifications.
2. Proof of Graduation - Official academic documentation that verifies completion of degree or certificate within eligibility time limits of Recent Graduate program. This documentation may include: an official letter from the school's registrar's office confirming the completion of degree or certificate and the date completed; official or unofficial transcripts identifying the date and type of degree awarded; or a copy of the actual degree or certificate issued by the school. An unofficial copy of transcripts is sufficient with the application; however, if selected, an official college transcript will be required prior to appointment. Transcripts, both unofficial and official, or any other academic documentation, MUST include your full name, school name, current GPA/academic standing, past and current (if applicable) coursework, degree program, and degree conferral date. If your school does not provide transcripts or the transcript does not provide all the information listed above, you must include additional documentation from the school that meets these requirements. Note: If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree or certificate, you must complete all graduation requirements within nine months of the announcement/application closing date; the anticipated graduation date must be included on your resume. You must provide academic documentation with your application package that supports the graduation date listed on your resume. The documentation must meet the requirements outlined above.
3. College Transcripts - An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application. Transcripts MUST include your full name, school name, current GPA/academic standing, past and current (if applicable) coursework, degree program, and degree conferral date. If your school does not provide transcripts or the transcript does not provide all the necessary information listed above, you must include additional academic documentation from the school that meets these requirements. Education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. Foreign education must be evaluated by an approved organization. For additional information, refer to the U.S. Department of Education web site at http://www.ed.gov. All transcripts must be in English or include English translation.
4. If claiming veteran's preference, you must submit a Certificate of Release or Discharge of Active Duty (DD-214), of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. If claiming 10-point preference you must also provide proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. You will receive veteran's preference based solely on the documentation provided with your application. For more information on veterans' preference see https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job-seekers/veterans/veterans-preference/
NOTE: You may update your application package for an open announcement. Log in to your USAJOBS account. Follow the USAJOBS prompts to navigate to your application package. If you have added or replaced a document(s), you must click on the Documents link at the top of the page then choose the document(s) from the Available Documents drop-down list.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Clarification from the agency
Recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program. Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation have up to six years after degree completion to apply.