New job Security Guard in Louisiana | 2021
Company : US Department of the Army
Salary : $39,311 - $51,103 a year
Location : Louisiana
About the Position: This position is located at Fort Polk, Louisiana. The surrounding community is comprised of the towns of Leesville, DeRidder, New Llano, & Anacoco. The nearest cities are Alexandria & Lake Charles. The area is considered rural with the Kisatchie National Forest, which offers hunting and recreational activities, located nearby. Also located nearby are Toledo Bend Lake, Vernon Lake & Anacoco Lake for those interested in fishing, boating, swimming, etc.
- Checks identification and vehicles to ensure only authorized personnel are allowed access
- Advises visitors to assist them in compliance with security procedures and requirements
- Conducts inspections of vehicles, personnel, or buildings to ensure compliance with regulations
- Inspects items such as containers, personal property, or vehicle documents to ensure compliance with security policies and procedures
- Implements enhanced security measures when warranted by events or threats
- Denies access to unauthorized personnel in accordance with standard operating procedures
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0085 Security Guard
- Guards, Security
- Security Guards
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a SECRET level security clearance.
- In accordance with Army Regulation 190-56, requirements of Individual Reliability Program apply.
- In accordance with Army Regulation (AR) 600-85, a DA Form 5019R Condition of Employment must be assigned for mandatory drug testing. Individual agrees to submit to a urinalysis on a recurring basis, in accordance with AR 600-85.
- Shift work required or a change in work shift may be necessary. Hours of work encompass fluctuating tours of duty including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Overtime may be required and is subject to recall for periods of emergency overtime.
- This position requires proficiency in the use of assigned firearms/weapons, pass an initial qualification, and must qualify semi-annually thereafter in the use of assigned firearms/weapons.
- This position is subject to possible civil actions due to improper exercises of authority or injudicious use of force in the detention of individuals.
- This position requires undergoing and passing periodic medical exams of physical, emotional and mental stability.
- This position requires successfully completing security guard training.
- This position requires successfully completing Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certification, Automated External Defibrillator, and First Aid training.
- This position requires the wearing of chemical protection masks, gloves, and other protective equipment, and may require certification in the use of aerosol irritants and baton.
- This position requires passing entry level and annual re-certification of standard Army physical fitness/agility test.
- This position requires the possession and maintenance of a valid driver?s license.
- This position requires the wearing of a prescribed uniform.
- This position requires participation in regularly scheduled training in the techniques of use of deadly force, anti-/counter-terrorism, first aid, firearms, search and seizure, security operations and enforcement of installation rules.
- This position requires business travel/TDY up to 5% of the time.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a two year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 Code of Federal Regulation Part 315.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
To qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes 1) enforcing security regulations to protect facilities and personnel; 2) controlling access of vehicles; 3) preventing security violations and experience such as work with Federal, State, municipal, local, or private protective organization that involved the protection against such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass; or maintaining order and protecting life. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Access Control Operations
- Interpersonal Skills
- Security Enforcement
- Security Equipment Operation
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-05).
Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans' preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone-no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 19 - Physical Security and Law Enforcement position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Recruitment Incentive or Relocation Incentive may be authorized up to 25% of base pay with three years of service agreement.
- A certificate will be issued to the hiring manager on/around the following dates: April 1, April 8, April 15, April 22 and April 29.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.