New job Motor Carrier Inspector in South Dakota | 2021
Motor Carrier Inspector
Company : South Dakota State Government
Salary : $16.89 an hour
Location : South Dakota
Agency: Department of Public Safety - Division of Highway Patrol - Motor Carrier Enforcement
Salary: $16.89 per hour
Pay Grade: GG
Closing Date: 04/14/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Public Safety. For more information on the Department of Public Safety, please visit http://dps.sd.gov.
Motor Carrier Inspections is a Division of the South Dakota Highway Patrol. This position will perform regulatory and enforcement activities. Inspectors ensure trucks and other carriers are operating legally. This position will also perform duties indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather-related conditions.
Duties include inspecting and weighing vehicles, reviewing documents, issuing permits, training and educating customers, and taking necessary enforcement action. There are training and promotional opportunities available with this position.
Licensing and Certifications:
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver's license and be certified as a Motor Carrier Inspector.
Must successfully complete North American Level I Standards Inspection Training within two years of employment.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- the transportation industry;
- mechanical characteristics of commercial vehicles including load factors;
- commercial drivers’ license requirements;
- vehicle safety inspection.
- deal tactfully and courteously with the public;
- compute fees using mathematical formulas and a calculator;
- maintain composure in stressful situations;
- take appropriate enforcement action;
- interpret rules and regulations and explain interpretations to drivers and transportation company officials;
- recognize and act upon violations;
- lift 75 pounds or more;
- climb up-onto, around, or under tractor-trailer rigs and cargo to inspect and measure vehicles;
- complete required reports;
- communicate through the use of a Mobile Police Radio;
- administer preliminary breath tests;
- communicate information on state laws, policies, and procedures clearly and concisely.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=DOV
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"