New job Accounting Assistant in Burlington, VT | 2021
Company : City of Burlington, Vermont
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Burlington, VT
This position is responsible for providing basic bookkeeping and back-office support to the accounting team. It will focus primarily on the entry, verification, and reporting of receipts, but will also perform activities relating to all department accounting functions, including: accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries, and audits. The position may also provide support for special projects and backup for essential accounting functions during staff absences, as assigned by the position’s supervisor.
*This position is 32 hours per week.*
Essential Job Functions
- Consolidate, verify and enter routine, day-to-day receipts from various third-party systems and for various City functions.
- Process refunds as needed for customers of the City’s parking facilities.
- Perform other basic bookkeeping duties as directed. This may include:
- Reconciling deposits to bank activity.
- Identifying, researching and correcting errors or variances in various accounts and/or sub ledgers.
- Entry, verification and issuance of billings.
- Organizing, verifying and entering invoices.
- Preparing & entering routine journal entries and standard allocations.
- Update, maintain and distribute various department data sets to provide reporting on and assist with tracking of receipts, billings and general ledger accounts, to include current status, types and amounts, as specified by supervisor.
- Provide support to accounting staff as needed, including: perform and/or assist with essential/critical daily accounting tasks of other positions during staff absences, process and mail correspondence, enter/compile data and documentation, and assist with the completion of regular duties or special assignments as needed.
- Assist in special projects, audit, and year-end preparation as instructed by supervisor, to include; generating and processing entries, tracking various funds & entry types, gathering documentation and working with various City staff to reconcile accounts.
- Create, update & maintain typed procedures for all assigned tasks.
- Perform office and clerical duties as requested, including: organizing, filing, copying, printing, word processing.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent and minimum of one (1) year of experience in an office environment that includes bookkeeping required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products required.
- Satisfactory completion of skill tests in bookkeeping/mathematics, cash reconciliation and spreadsheet software.
- Municipal government experience preferred.
- Ability to perform numerous repetitive entries with consistency and accuracy.
- Ability to operate standard and computerized office equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate workload to meet deadlines.
- Ability & willingness to listen to feedback/constructive criticism and incorporate suggestions for improvement into performance going forward.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to interact professionally and respectfully with other staff.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE.
The City of Burlington is proud to offer full time employees a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
Medical/Dental Insurance Coverage
Prescription Drug Coverage
Flexible Spending Programs
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
Contributory Retirement Plan
Employee Assistance Program
Discounted Gym Memberships
Education benefits through Champlain College
Employee Assistance Program
Wellness Bonus Program
Local Resort Discounts
Subsidized Transportation Options
For additional details please visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR
Location: 149 Church Street,Burlington,VT, Burlington, VT 05401
Job Type: Part-time